Medical Treatment of Hair Loss
- All Hair loss patients are not suitable for Hair Transplantation.
- Young patients especially in early stages of baldness can be treated medically to prevent/slow down the further progression of baldness and also to promote hair growth to some extent. Sometimes, even in the younger individuals hair transplantation is recommended depending upon their psycho-social obligations like marriage, depression, etc.
- Finasteride, Minoxidil solution, micro-nutrients, anti-oxidants, Hair Vitamins etc. definitely have a role to play in delaying the progression of Baldness & to some extent growth of hair also.
- Hair loss in patients may not be always genetic in origin (Androgenetic alopecia / patterned hair loss) as some of them lose hair because of other causes which can be identified by relevant history and investigations and can be treated accordingly.
- It is always imperative to treat the underlying cause of hair loss (if any) as in the case of patients with Thyroid dysfunction, Anaemia, etc; before directly going for hair loss treatment.
- Hence the primary role of a doctor is to identify and treat the cause and not to consider every hair loss patient to be one and the same.